How to Fill Form N-400 Application for Naturalization – Complete Step by Step guide with examples and Attorney commentary. UPDATED.

Part 8. Information About Your Employment and Schools You Attended

List your places of employment or study full-time or part-time starting with your current job/school and going backward, for the last five years. Also include military service, if applicable. In the field “Your Occupation” select the choice that most closely describes you occupation.

If you were not employed over the last five years, write “unemployed” in the box “Your Occupation.” Enter “N/A” in all other fields. You will not be kept from naturalizing just because you were not employed, but the officer may look more closely at how you support yourself to make sure you have not been receiving income from an illegal source. If you are receiving public benefits, that is not a bar to naturalization. You can still become a U.S. citizen, if you did not make a misrepresentation that you were a U.S. Citizen or lied to obtain a benefit.

You may need to provide USCIS with your federal tax returns. When applying under the married to a US citizen for 3 years eligibility category will have to provide USCIS with your tax returns. Failure to report and disclose income and file a tax return may be grounds for denying U.S. citizenship. Unless you were not required to file a tax return, USCIS will not naturalize you until you have complied with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations.

If you obtained your lawful permanent residence through employment and you left that employment shortly after becoming a permanent resident, the USCIS officer may ask why you left the job with your sponsor. In this situation, it is recommended to consult an immigration attorney.

If you need additional space to list all your places of employment and schools, attach a separate sheet of paper, and provide all the information requested. Make sure to sign and date the sheet.

If you want to avoid rejections because of mistakes, errors, inconsistencies and omissions, or simply want the peace of mind that an attorney reviewed your forms and documents then my $249 Naturalization Application and Forms review service is perfect for you, no matter where you are. Feel free to email or call me at 212-202-0489 for a no obligations free consultation.”  DAVID KOHINA, ESQ.


  1. Grzegorz November 7, 2017 at 5:13 pm - Reply


    What do I do if I do not have any children? Should I type “0” or “none”? In child information should type “N/A” in each field?

    Thank you,
    Best Regards,

    • admin November 7, 2017 at 5:36 pm - Reply

      Applicant must list all sons and daughters alive, deceased, missing, adopted, or stepchildren, even if they are U.S. citizens, adults, married, or live outside the United States. If you do not have any children simply type “0” in Part 11 item number 1 and do not type anything else in part 11. Please consider our attorney document review service. For only $249 an attorney will review your completed N-400 form for eligibility, errors, omissions, inconsistencies and other mistakes.

  2. Ram January 28, 2018 at 9:14 pm - Reply

    Thank you so much for the sample.My Sister was married to US Citizen and She has stayed in US for 3 years she was in Nepal before she Entered US and never traveled anywhere.Do i need to fill part 9 (Time outside US for past 5 years )? What should be the number of trips then ?

    • admin January 28, 2018 at 9:38 pm - Reply

      Based on the information you’ve provided if the applicant eligibility is based on being married to a US citizen for 3 years and no trips were taken outside the US from the time she received her conditional residence then she should mark 0 in part 9.1 and 9.2. Please keep in mind I am basing this on the information you’ve provided. In order to definitively reply I would have to review the entire application and the underlying eligibility. We provide an affordable application review service where we check for mistakes, omissions and inconsistencies. Feel free to contact our office to discuss this service.

  3. Nana June 19, 2018 at 5:11 pm - Reply

    Thanks for very helpful simple.

    I was divorced before I come to Usa 5 years ago. do I have to make sign on divorce? and need to bring my divorce certificate from my country?

    thank you

    • admin June 19, 2018 at 5:18 pm - Reply

      Unfortunately, I do not have enough information to reply to your question. Please feel free to call me or write me an email detailing your situation and question.

  4. Krissy June 28, 2018 at 2:52 pm - Reply

    I work from home in IL. I file my taxes in IL but I work from a company where the headquarters is based in NJ. Should I write the headquarters as address of my employer? On my income tax return, the address of the employer is different from the headquarter’s address. Should I write the address on the income tax return as my address?

    If I note my employer’s address in NJ, can I be denied from US citizenship since I’m filing at IL. But I do file taxes in IL.

    Thanks so much for this helpful information!


    • admin June 29, 2018 at 5:46 pm - Reply

      Hi Krissy,

      I cannot answer to your specific situation because I would need much more information to provide an accurate individual answer. But in general, a citizenship application will not be denied because of an address of an employer. Some corporations have many locations in different states. It is not a material issue. Please note that just because I answered your question it does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please feel free to email or call me if you have further questions.

      • Krissy June 30, 2018 at 11:17 pm - Reply

        Thanks so much for your reply! I really appreciate it! I will definitely recommend you guys to my friends and family who needs extra help with their applications.

  5. Shalon Pescalia September 28, 2018 at 1:22 am - Reply

    So if I only have 1 child, do i need to just leave blank the rest ( child 2-4). A little of confuse If I have to put N/A on all questions not applicable to me.

    • admin September 28, 2018 at 3:36 pm - Reply

      Yes, if you only have 1 child you leave the remaining sections blank. You do not need to put N/A on all questions not applicable to you. Please feel free to email me if you have further questions or would like me to review your entire application.

  6. Luciana October 3, 2018 at 3:17 pm - Reply

    Hi, im married with my citzen usa husband more than 5 years an i have my permanent green card for more thand five years as well, i have all the requirements for became citizen. I need help to choose my eligibility in the form N 400. Part 1. Should i choose box “A” or box “B”? Should i go under 5 years lawful permanent resident or under at least 3 years and aditional married at least 3 years?

    • admin October 3, 2018 at 3:25 pm - Reply

      Hi, I cannot specifically tell you what option to choose because you are not my client. But in a situation where a permanent resident is eligible for citizenship under both the 3 years married to a US citizen and 5 years permanent resident requirements then choosing the 5-year permanent resident option is better because it does not require to submit marriage related evidence. I hope this answers your question. Please consider my N-400 review service in order to make sure your application is filed properly and avoid any rejections or delays.

      • Lu October 3, 2018 at 4:39 pm - Reply

        Thank so much for your reply!

  7. Lu October 3, 2018 at 4:10 pm - Reply

    Hi, im married with my usa citzen husband more than 5 years an i have my permanent green card for more thand five years as well, i have all the requirements for become citizen. I need help to choose my eligibility in the form N 400. Part 1. Should i choose box “A” or box “B”? Should i go under 5 years lawful permanent resident or under at least 3 years and aditional married at least 3 years?

Leave A Comment