How to Fill Form N-400 Application for Naturalization – Complete Step by Step guide with examples and Attorney commentary.

Part 9. Time Outside the United States.

This information is designed to determine that the applicant has fit the U.S. residence and physical presence requirements for naturalization. Many people have traveled and or have been absent from the United States. If you have long absences, or if you have traveled a great deal, USCIS will want to make sure that you meet the continuous residence and physical presence requirements. If you have been absent from the U.S. for long periods of time without obtaining permission to preserve foreign residence and without a reentry permit (which only establishes a rebuttable presumption of preserved residence), USCIS could conceivably conclude that you abandoned your permanent residence and pursue deportation and/or revocation of adjustment of status, in which case filing the naturalization in the first place might not be wise. Otherwise, USCIS might determine that a break in residence started over the five-year period necessary for naturalization eligibility.

If you were outside of the United States for more than one continuous year (365 consecutive days) during the statutory period, you have broken your continuous residence. You must wait until you have accrued the five (or three) years of continuous residence before you can apply for citizenship. If you were outside of the United States for more than six consecutive months, but less than one year, the USCIS officer will want to know why you were abroad for so long. You must attach additional proof that you did not intend to abandon your residence. You must have also been physically present in the United States for at least half of the time during the statutory period. That means you must have been physically present at least 913 days in the last five years (or 548 days in the last three years.) The law allows exceptions for some religious workers, seamen, people serving in the military, and people working for the U.S. government abroad.

Part 9.1 Calculate and write the total number of days you were outside of the United States during the last five years (this may be easiest to do once you have completed Part 9, Question 3 of the N-400). Count the days of every trip that lasted 24 hours or longer.

Part 9.2 Write the number of trips you have taken outside the United States during the last five years.

Part 9.3 Make your best effort to provide the requested information for every trip that you have taken outside the United States during the last five years. Begin with your most recent trip and work your way back in time. Use the stamps in your passport to help you. If you are not sure about the dates or duration of a trip, say so by writing ‘approximately’. If you do not know all your trip dates because you travel outside of the United States frequently, attach a separate sheet of paper with a statement explaining where you travel and how often. Include the estimated number of days you were outside the United States. If you need additional space to list all of your trips, attach a separate sheet of paper, and provide all the information requested. Make sure to write the Application Part and question number you are responding to as well as the date, your full name and A number and sign the sheet.

If you want to avoid rejections because of mistakes, errors, inconsistencies and omissions, or simply want the peace of mind that an attorney reviewed your forms and documents then my $249 Naturalization Application and Forms review service is perfect for you, no matter where you are. Feel free to email or call me at 212-202-0489 for a no obligations free consultation.”  DAVID KOHINA, ESQ.


  1. Grzegorz November 7, 2017 at 5:13 pm - Reply


    What do I do if I do not have any children? Should I type “0” or “none”? In child information should type “N/A” in each field?

    Thank you,
    Best Regards,

    • admin November 7, 2017 at 5:36 pm - Reply

      Applicant must list all sons and daughters alive, deceased, missing, adopted, or stepchildren, even if they are U.S. citizens, adults, married, or live outside the United States. If you do not have any children simply type “0” in Part 11 item number 1 and do not type anything else in part 11. Please consider our attorney document review service. For only $249 an attorney will review your completed N-400 form for eligibility, errors, omissions, inconsistencies and other mistakes.

  2. Ram January 28, 2018 at 9:14 pm - Reply

    Thank you so much for the sample.My Sister was married to US Citizen and She has stayed in US for 3 years she was in Nepal before she Entered US and never traveled anywhere.Do i need to fill part 9 (Time outside US for past 5 years )? What should be the number of trips then ?

    • admin January 28, 2018 at 9:38 pm - Reply

      Based on the information you’ve provided if the applicant eligibility is based on being married to a US citizen for 3 years and no trips were taken outside the US from the time she received her conditional residence then she should mark 0 in part 9.1 and 9.2. Please keep in mind I am basing this on the information you’ve provided. In order to definitively reply I would have to review the entire application and the underlying eligibility. We provide an affordable application review service where we check for mistakes, omissions and inconsistencies. Feel free to contact our office to discuss this service.

  3. Nana June 19, 2018 at 5:11 pm - Reply

    Thanks for very helpful simple.

    I was divorced before I come to Usa 5 years ago. do I have to make sign on divorce? and need to bring my divorce certificate from my country?

    thank you

    • admin June 19, 2018 at 5:18 pm - Reply

      Unfortunately, I do not have enough information to reply to your question. Please feel free to call me or write me an email detailing your situation and question.

  4. Krissy June 28, 2018 at 2:52 pm - Reply

    I work from home in IL. I file my taxes in IL but I work from a company where the headquarters is based in NJ. Should I write the headquarters as address of my employer? On my income tax return, the address of the employer is different from the headquarter’s address. Should I write the address on the income tax return as my address?

    If I note my employer’s address in NJ, can I be denied from US citizenship since I’m filing at IL. But I do file taxes in IL.

    Thanks so much for this helpful information!


    • admin June 29, 2018 at 5:46 pm - Reply

      Hi Krissy,

      I cannot answer to your specific situation because I would need much more information to provide an accurate individual answer. But in general, a citizenship application will not be denied because of an address of an employer. Some corporations have many locations in different states. It is not a material issue. Please note that just because I answered your question it does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please feel free to email or call me if you have further questions.

      • Krissy June 30, 2018 at 11:17 pm - Reply

        Thanks so much for your reply! I really appreciate it! I will definitely recommend you guys to my friends and family who needs extra help with their applications.

Leave A Comment