How to Fill Form N-400 Application for Naturalization – Complete Step by Step guide with examples and Attorney commentary.

Complete Step by Step guide with examples and Attorney commentary.

It seems that despite USCIS’s best effort form N-400 keeps getting longer, more expensive and more complicated. Accuracy and completeness of USCIS Form N-400 are critical for a smooth approval process. Most of the questions on the form are very straightforward and self-explanatory, but some questions require careful attention. It is important to provide truthful answers on form N-400 to avoid any legal penalties or even facing deportation for egregious false statement or misrepresentations. In addition to truthfulness, consistency with all previously filed immigration forms is extremely important.

In the following pages, you will find images of various sections followed by explanations and step by step instructions for all the questions.

NOTE: I filled out some sections of the form as an example. The information is fictitious, do not copy it or use it.

Here are some recommendations for completing the application:

  1. Make sure you download the latest form dated 12/23/16 (see lower left corner)
  1. I recommend typing in the answers on the form using Adobe Acrobat Reader. A free application that the form was designed and tested for. Other PDF applications may not work properly.
  1. I recommend completing this form on a computer so the data you enter will be captured and saved using the 2D barcode at the bottom of each page. This barcode is scanned by USCIS to help the accuracy and processing of the N-400.

PART 1: Information About Your Eligibility:

Part 1 lists the most common basis for eligibility for naturalization, but there are several other grounds. Note that for unlisted grounds, a statutory citation is required.

Check the box that best applies to your case:

Check “A.” if you qualify because you have been a legal permanent resident for five or more years.

Check “B.” if you have been a lawful permanent resident for at least 3 years and have been married to, and living with the same U.S. citizen. At the naturalization interview you will be required to provide a marriage certificate and documentation of your spouse’s U.S. citizenship, and proof that you are living together, and that you have been living together for the entire time that you have had your green card. You must remain married until the Certificate of Naturalization is received. For fiancées, eligibility starts tolling from the time you received your conditional permanent resident status not from the date conditions were removed. Therefore, spouses (K1/Fiancées) can apply 1 year after conditions were removed and legal permanent residency status was obtained.

NOTE: For both options, A and B lawful permeant residents may submit N-400 application 90 days before the required residency eligibility time.

Check “C.” if you are a permanent resident, are a spouse of a U.S. citizen and your U.S. Citizen spouse is regularly engaged in specific employment listed in the Immigration and Nationality Act. It is advisable to consult with an attorney if you think you qualify based on this requirement.

Check “D.” if you are applying for naturalization based on military service.

Check “E.” if you are applying for naturalization based on other factors, a statutory citation is required. It is advisable to consult with an attorney if you think you qualify based on this requirement.

If you want to avoid rejections because of mistakes, errors, inconsistencies and omissions, or simply want the peace of mind that an attorney reviewed your forms and documents then my $249 Naturalization Application and Forms review service is perfect for you, no matter where you are. Feel free to email or call me at 212-202-0489 for a no obligations free consultation.”  DAVID KOHINA, ESQ.


  1. Grzegorz November 7, 2017 at 5:13 pm - Reply


    What do I do if I do not have any children? Should I type “0” or “none”? In child information should type “N/A” in each field?

    Thank you,
    Best Regards,

    • admin November 7, 2017 at 5:36 pm - Reply

      Applicant must list all sons and daughters alive, deceased, missing, adopted, or stepchildren, even if they are U.S. citizens, adults, married, or live outside the United States. If you do not have any children simply type “0” in Part 11 item number 1 and do not type anything else in part 11. Please consider our attorney document review service. For only $249 an attorney will review your completed N-400 form for eligibility, errors, omissions, inconsistencies and other mistakes.

  2. Ram January 28, 2018 at 9:14 pm - Reply

    Thank you so much for the sample.My Sister was married to US Citizen and She has stayed in US for 3 years she was in Nepal before she Entered US and never traveled anywhere.Do i need to fill part 9 (Time outside US for past 5 years )? What should be the number of trips then ?

    • admin January 28, 2018 at 9:38 pm - Reply

      Based on the information you’ve provided if the applicant eligibility is based on being married to a US citizen for 3 years and no trips were taken outside the US from the time she received her conditional residence then she should mark 0 in part 9.1 and 9.2. Please keep in mind I am basing this on the information you’ve provided. In order to definitively reply I would have to review the entire application and the underlying eligibility. We provide an affordable application review service where we check for mistakes, omissions and inconsistencies. Feel free to contact our office to discuss this service.

  3. Nana June 19, 2018 at 5:11 pm - Reply

    Thanks for very helpful simple.

    I was divorced before I come to Usa 5 years ago. do I have to make sign on divorce? and need to bring my divorce certificate from my country?

    thank you

    • admin June 19, 2018 at 5:18 pm - Reply

      Unfortunately, I do not have enough information to reply to your question. Please feel free to call me or write me an email detailing your situation and question.

  4. Krissy June 28, 2018 at 2:52 pm - Reply

    I work from home in IL. I file my taxes in IL but I work from a company where the headquarters is based in NJ. Should I write the headquarters as address of my employer? On my income tax return, the address of the employer is different from the headquarter’s address. Should I write the address on the income tax return as my address?

    If I note my employer’s address in NJ, can I be denied from US citizenship since I’m filing at IL. But I do file taxes in IL.

    Thanks so much for this helpful information!


    • admin June 29, 2018 at 5:46 pm - Reply

      Hi Krissy,

      I cannot answer to your specific situation because I would need much more information to provide an accurate individual answer. But in general, a citizenship application will not be denied because of an address of an employer. Some corporations have many locations in different states. It is not a material issue. Please note that just because I answered your question it does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please feel free to email or call me if you have further questions.

      • Krissy June 30, 2018 at 11:17 pm - Reply

        Thanks so much for your reply! I really appreciate it! I will definitely recommend you guys to my friends and family who needs extra help with their applications.

Leave A Comment